Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thus begins the recipes


I have been under orders to be gluten free for 62 days.  There have been a few times that I've unknowingly at the time had gluten food.  One was a deli chicken, and the other was some ground up steak thing at a local restaurant. I've lost around 10-15 legitimate pounds - and I say legitimate cause its not from being sick.

There are a few difficult things that I've discovered so far:

1) it's really difficult to eat out.  This wouldn't be so bad if I could have dairy, but trying to find something that is dairy and gluten free and still worth paying for is very difficult. as such our eating out budget is now 1/6th of what it used to be.

2) pot lucks suck.  they suck a lot.  The challenge here is that if i'm going to have something I have to know every ingredient, and the only way to do that is to ask the people who made it.  Despite what you may think, it is really hard to ask them about each ingredient in minute detail without sounding like either a jerk or a complete food snob.  

3) planing makes like far far easier.  Before I had these issues, I would come home, figure out what to have for supper and less than 30 minutes later I would be eating something tasty.  the first few weeks after being gluten free it was very difficult to figure out what to cook, and it all takes forever to actually cook.  I send 2-3 hours each day cooking and generally don't get to eat until 2 hours after i've come home.  If I plan our my 'menu' at the beginning of the week then when I get home I don't have to spend an hour figuring out what I can eat with the things we have on hand. Planing ahead also helps to insure that I have food to take to work the next day.

However, overall things are going OK.  I am pretty busy so there wont be that frequent of updates here but I am using a website called pinterest to amass recipes. you can find my account here: http://pinterest.com/markdelarm/

There is where I will be putting all the gluten free recipes I find.  To post in it I have to have a picture of the food, so some times i'll post a recipe here that doesn't exist online with a picture.  This'll allow me to post it on my pinterest.  


Till next time, stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment